World Rowing Virtual Indoor Sprints ready to row global
The countdown is on. Get out the rowing machine. Start preparing. It’s one month to go until the 2018 World Rowing Virtual Indoor Sprints.
Here’s how it works: You have 5 days (7-11 March, 2018) to complete a 1000m sprint on the Concept2 indoor rowing machine and submit your score using the Concept2 logbook. Your score will be compared with people in your age category from around the world and you can see how you measure up.
This is the third year of the World Rowing Virtual Indoor Sprints and in the first two years more than 8,000 people worldwide took part. The virtual indoor sprints have brought together groups of athletes from first-time rowers in Tanzania, to school kids in France to club rowers on the tiny island of Tahiti.
This event aims to bring indoor rowers from around the world closer together through online competition. This year, the event has been extended by two days in order to give participants more time to complete the challenge. But the goal remains the same. Do your best 1000m sprint, submit your score, compete with thousands of people around the world.
World Rowing and Concept2 are calling on you to show us if you’re #ready2row. If you are planning to participate in this year’s virtual indoor sprints, take a photo, tell us where you are racing from and post it using #ready2row.
- Race 1,000 metres on the Concept2 Indoor Rower (Model A-E rowers only, no Dynamic or indoor rowers on Slides) at your club, gym, school or home March 7-11, 2018.
- Individuals should enter their time in their Concept2 Online Logbook by 9am GMT on 13 March 2018.
- Events should send their results by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you submit 20 or more individual results from an event held by your club or team you’ll be entered in a raffle for a new indoor rower for your facility. Results must be emailed by 9 a.m. GMT on 14 March 2018. Email email@example.com to receive information on submitting event results and for event updates.
- There will also be a separate raffle for events held in World Rowing development countries where there are ten or more competitors. For more information (to see if your country qualifies) email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Medals will be awarded to the top three male and female times in each category. Categories are listed below.
Junior 12, Junior 13-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+
*Lightweight category offered from 19 years old and above. Lightweight specifications
Lightweight Women: <= 61.5kg (135lbs)
Openweight Women: > 61.6kg (135 lbs)
Lightweight Men: <= 75 kg (165lbs)
Openweight Men: > 75kg (165lbs)
Para-rowing categories (men/women)
LTA (PR3), TA (PR2), AS (PR1)